The year 1857 saw the settlement by white men, at Old Marlborough. This was the year Dan Connor (some remember him as O’Connor) first saw the land and settled there; little did he realise what the district was to become. No doubt the trees at Old Marlborough could tell many a colourful tale.
The land that Connor "took up" comprised Blenheim, Ramilles, Oudenarde and Malplaquiet runs, each comprised 16,000 acres and were leased for periods of 8 years from 21st April, 1858. In 1869, these holdings were amalgamated and called "Marlborough". When Marlborough was the outpost station, north of Rockhampton, it played an important role, and with the growth of settlement further out west and the discovery of gold at Peak Downs, it was proclaimed a township. It was the junction for road traffic north to St. Lawrence and west to Peak Downs, via the Connors Range (named after Dan Connor) and an important change and camping stop for teamsters and other travellers.
With the opening of the shorter and more direct route through Westwood, and the construction of the rail line there, Marlborough declined in importance. Following the survey of the railway line, the township was shifted to its present site, and about this time a considerable influx of new settlers came to the district, several from South Australia.